The course covers an in-depth analysis of behaviour modification, the science of behaviour, learning theory, functional assessment, emotions, the brain and how, when everything is put together behaviours, whether adaptive or maladaptive, can affect the canine-human relationship. The course then goes on to explore how we can modify these behaviours, change the dog’s perception and emotional responses, and build trust and understanding, by working in close conjunction with the dog’s owners and carers.
Start Date: This Level 5 course can now be booked and started anytime!
We are very pleased to confirm that all accredited IMDT distance learning courses can now be paid for via monthly instalments. The payment plans mean that you can book and start your course now while you're at home, but can spread the payments over a more comfortable period of time.
To arrange, click the red 'Pay By Instalments' button
Understanding and Working with Canine Behaviour – Analysis & Application
No need to be tied to a particualr 'term' time.
As soon as you're ready to start, book your course and you can get going!
This course includes several recorded webinars
Level 5 Accredited with OCN London: 30 Credits
Completion of this Level 5 course results in the successful candidate being listed as a Behaviourist on our directory and gaining permission to use the IMDTB logo and title for all marketing material
The course develops through five Units over 12 months; the final Unit being an in-depth case study of the students choosing, covering all aspects of the preceding Units and focussing on both the canine and human aspects of behaviour modification and learning.
Areas covered include:
The intricacies of canine body language and posture
- Analysis of the meaning of different body postures in different contexts
- Meanings of vocalisations and the emotions ascribed to them
- How misinterpretation can lead to behaviour problems
- How misinterpretation can lead to a breakdown in the dog-human relationship
The effects of interactions between dogs and other animals on body language and posture
- Context and its effects on body language, posture and emotion
- How body language, posture and emotions can be affected by different types of people
Emotions, emotional circuits and their effects on behaviour and behavioural responses in dogs
- Emotional circuits, how they work, how they affect motivation and reinforcement of behaviour
- How these circuits can aid in gaining positive emotional responses within the behaviour modification plan
- The effects of psycho-pharmacology on the emotional circuits and thus behaviour and approaches to modifying it
- Environment and social relationships effects on emotional responses towards other animals
The effects of disease, illness and pain on behaviour in dogs
- How medical issues can affect behaviour
- How certain medications can affect behaviour
- The effects of pain on behavioural responses
Motivation and reinforcement and how they effect the promotion of successful behaviour modification
- Critical analysis of motivation and reinforcement in relation to specific behaviour responses
- The effects of external environments, managing, adapting and the effects on welfare and mental wellbeing
- How similar expression of behaviour might not indicate the same emotional responses
- Effects of owner’s personality and emotional responses on behaviour modification processes
- The effect of owner’s perceptions, beliefs and requirements on behaviour modification processes
- Increasing compliance and motivation for owners within behaviour modification processes
Intricacies of behaviour modification, analysis, and modification of approaches to achieve compliance and progress
- Production of behaviour modification plans for at least two case studies
- Detailed explanation of learning theory and the feasibility of own plans
- Potential sources of conflict with owners
- Potential sources of conflict between owners
- Potential pitfalls in relation to safety and the learning process
- Analysis of own plans highlighting advantages over other potential approaches
- Analysing own plans highlighting areas that could be adapted to improve the potential effects on behaviour change
Understand how to plan, review and modify behaviour in relation to your own case study
Analysis and Application – Recorded Webinars
- Produce a detailed analysis of a specific case study and analyse the aetiology of the behaviour issues described
- Include analysis on the effects of the environment, social relationships, motivation and reinforcement on specific behaviour problems
- Analyse the behaviour issues and explain in detail how emotional circuits could be affecting the dog’s responses
- Produce a concise and precise behaviour modification plan
- Produce client and vet reports relating to the behaviour issues and your own modification plan
These webinar sessions are designed to supplement the correspondence parts of the course by giving in depth explanations and expanding on areas covered in the correspondence units.
Stereotypical behaviour – overview of causes, breed, function vs malfunction, adaptative vs. maladaptive behaviour and displacement
Resource Guarding – overview of causes, definitions, reinforcement, motivation and function, approaching behaviour modification
Learning Theory for real life situations, positives and pitfalls from our perspective
Neurotransmitters and neurons – an overview and discussionSeparation Related Disorders – overview, pertinent and valuable points from the dogs perspective
Noise Sensitivities – causes, emotions, context and protocols
Noise Sensitivity – anxiety, stress and learning; what can we do to help?
How to study – reading and understanding questions, referencing, structure and research techniques
Aggression – distance increasing behaviour – causes, perception, motivation, reinforcement & function
Aggression – stress, anxiety and emotional circuitsNeutering and spaying – effects on behaviour?
Case study overview
It is expected that the course will require approximately 8 hours study, research and writing per week.
‘This course is suitable for students that have studied to at least Level 4 and to those that are intending to or are already carrying out visits to client’s properties for behaviour modification, or in-depth training consultations. Students will need a solid grounding in Learning Theory and the training process.
The course is designed to be testing, requires commitment and precision alongside good studying processes. If you would like to discuss the requirements of this course, please email [email protected] and one of the tutors will contact you.
The course is accredited by OCN London and falls within their guidelines for assessment.’
Upon successful completion of your Level 5 IMDTB course, tyou will be offered IMDTB Membership and have the opportunity to be listed on the IMDT Behaviourist directory.
Other benefits include:-
• Exclusive discount of 15% off all IMDT, IMDTB and Happy Dog courses
• Business listing on the ‘Find a Trainer’ page for owners on the IMDT website which currently receives 2990 unique hits per month
• Exclusive use of the IMDTB logo on your website and marketing material.
You can find various formats of the logo in ‘IMDT Members only’ Facebook page which you will be added to upon successful completion of this course.
• IMDT Qualified Trainer Promotion and recommendation through major events including Crufts
• Use the letters IMDTB after your name on all marketing materials, websites and social media
• IMDTB Qualified trainer promotion in National publications such as Dogs Today and Dogs Monthly targeting owners looking for Trainers
• Use of the IMDT Partnership Grades 1, 2 and 3 for clients to achieve certification
• 10% off all UK College of Scent Dog courses, https://www.ukcsd.com
• Exclusive IMDT discounts and offers from major brands
I have just finished the IMDTB course and honestly cannot recommend it enough. Despite having a degree in Behaviour and 10 years practical experience this course has taught me I really didn't know much at all. I used to have the worst imposter syndrome and struggled to sleep the night before training sessions. Since completing this I now feel incredibly confident in my abilities as I have a deep understanding of the causes of behavioural issues whereas before it was just a guessing game. If you want to up your behaviour game I would really recommend doing this course, you will learn an immense amount and it's also really enjoyable too
Challenging, but so interesting, I learned more that I could have imagined in this year’s course. Tutor support is excellent and very accessible. I would highly recommend to anyone with a thirst for learning about canine behaviour.
I learnt so much whilst doing this course . It all began to make sense and I found myself wanting to dig deeper into the science. Dave is very supportive and is always there when you get stuck. I feel so much more confident as a trainer now as I have a better idea about the emotions behind the behaviour and how to deal with it.
I’d highly recommend this very thorough course. I learned a great deal and I also gained a lot of confidence in my own behaviour work. The tutor is excellent, he’s very encouraging and he constantly shares his knowledge, giving very helpful, detailed feedback on each unit.
I would highly recommend this course to anyone who wants to study behaviour and to better understand dogs - it opened my eyes to how unique and individual each and every dog is, and as a school drop out, I was thrilled at how fascinated I was by the scientific aspect of the course. Dave Brice is an excellent tutor. I can't fault the course.
This course was very insightful, challenging and a lot of hard work. I feel a great sense of reward and achievement by passing. I have not only expanded my knowledge in behaviour , but have also grown confidence in my skills.
This course was interesting and challenging and I am proud to say I have obtained this qualification. The tutor was great and I can honestly say the feedback on the assignments was more detailed than any I had had in any of the courses I have done anywhere. Getting assignments back was the best learning experience.
Listen to a selection of songs performed by LEVEL FIVE. 12 months. Analysis And Application.