Knowing Nutrition: Essential Nutritional Knowledge For Dog Trainers
2 hour 15 minutes webinar
Course Presenter for IMDT: Dr. Jacqueline Boyd
Dr Jacqueline Boyd, BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD, PGCHE, CHES, FHEA, MRSB, MAPDT 01583
Jacqueline is an animal scientist with a particular interest in canine science and is passionate about making the world a better place for dogs and their people.
You will receive certification upon completion
By the end of the webinar, participants should be able to:
- Describe how the evolution and domestication of the domestic dog affect diet and feeding choices
- Describe and discuss the digestive anatomy and physiology and feeding behaviour of the domestic dog
- Identify the essential nutrients for dogs and their key roles
- Describe how to apply the principles of nutritional science to the practical feeding and management of dogs
- Introduction to nutrition ‘know how’
- Considering judgement of one form of feeding over another
- Importance of evidence based nutrition and the evolving science of nutrition
- Considering the individual dog whilst also taking account of caregiver factors and food factors
- Learning outcomes
- Nutritional ecology of the domestic dog
- Evolution and domestication – impacts on diet
- The digestive system – overview and importance
- The human-dog dyad and what it means for diet and feeding
- Supporting caregivers with prosocial principles
- The nutrients
- Essentials of nutrition - food/feed/nutrients/ingredients and what the differences are
- Energy – what do we mean and how is diet involved?
- What do dogs need? Lifestage/lifestyle/breed/type/activity level and other key factors
- Diet choices and differences
- The range of options – pros and cons of major options (including commercial vs home-prepared
- Nutritional guidelines and other resources
- Fact versus fiction
- Is there an ideal diet?
- Top Tips for Trainers when asked about nutrition and feeding
- Recap nutritional individuality (which includes dog, caregiver and food factors)
- Don’t be dogmatic – nutrition is not always a magic bullet!
- Nutrition and health – additional professional involvement/needs and when to advise/seek advice
- Practical feeding – applying theory to practice
Once booked, this webinar will be available to you for life
- Conclusion and take away messages
- Recap on learning outcomes
When you book, your certificate of attendance will be linked to your order confirmation email
To view the webinar, go into your IMDT account, click My Account then Online Courses
I've just watched the IMDT Nutrition Webinar and found it ✔️Informative. ✔️Interesting.✔️Non judgemental.✔️Backed by science.✔️Devoid of bias.✔️Myth busting.Worth every penny⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
What an impressive, educational and beautifully presented Webinar by Dr Jacqueline Boyd. I could listen to her all day. So much useful information and very much appreciated. Thank you! Thoroughly recommend.
Listen to a selection of songs performed by Canine Nutrition: What Dog Trainers Need To Know.